Thursday, February 24, 2011

"Albatross Around My Neck" New Art Series


Snorkeling Photo I took in the beautiful Pacific waters of Hawaii.

Snorkeling Photo I took of the beautiful Coral in the Pacific waters of Hawaii.

In this photo you can see what was found in the stomach of just one dead Laysan albatross chick (photographers: David Liittschwager & Susan Middleton).

I am starting a new series about the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch" I am sure many have heard of this patch out in the Pacific it is said to be twice the size of Texas. I lived in Texas for a while and have driven through the entire state and what a drive it is. There is too much plastic floating in our ocean.

This new series is my interpretation of the many facts and figures about this "Pacific Trash Vortex"

The name of my new series is still being worked out...I like the idea of

"THE ALBATROSS AROUND MY NECK IS PLASTIC TWICE THE SIZE OF TEXAS"

The albatross bird is one of the birds that is drastically impacted by the plastic patch...I attached a photo for you to see what impact plastic has on the life of an Albatross. I will continue to write about the fact finding art making process of this new series.